About the Program
Arcadia University offers a 2+2 pre-nursing program in affiliation with the Jefferson College of Health Professions at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. The four-year traditional pre-licensure Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) is divided into two phases: the prerequisite phase and the professional nursing major. Students complete two years of prerequisite coursework at Arcadia University in science, humanities and related disciplines that lay the foundation for professional studies. The professional nursing major, which is done at the Jefferson College of Health Professions, consists of four semesters of nursing theory and clinical coursework. To receive the pre licensure B.S.N., each prerequisite and nursing course must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
The prerequisite courses for the 2+2 program are anatomy and physiology (two semesters), microbiology, general chemistry (two semesters), mathematics, statistics, English composition, English elective, general psychology, developmental psychology, abnormal psychology and sociology. Two “selective” courses in American culture or ethnic studies, logic, philosophy or critical thinking and two “elective” courses in the arts, humanities or social sciences also are required.
Transfer Admission to Jefferson
Students who want to apply for transfer to the Jefferson College of Health Professions are required to submit a complete application for admission that includes the following items:
- Completed application form
- Official college/university transcripts from all institutions attended
- Application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- For students whose native language is not English and who have not taken the English prerequisites at an institution in the United States, an English proficiency examination is required. A minimum score of 550 (written exam) or 210 (computerized exam) is recommended on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- International students must submit an evaluation of foreign transcripts by the World Education Service (WES) or comparable agency.
Jefferson College of Health Professions will guarantee admission to students who desire to transfer from Arcadia University under the following circumstances:
- The student must complete all prerequisite credit requirements prior to enrollment at Thomas Jefferson University.
- The guarantee is extended as long as there are spaces in the entering class.
- A designated Arcadia University representative must recommend the student for admission.
- The student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. (The Jefferson program of study requires mastery of the physical sciences, and students with at least a 3.0 GPA make the most successful transitions.)
- The student must have earned at least a grade of “C” (a “C-” will not be accepted) in all transferred courses.
- Students with disciplinary or criminal records are excluded from this guarantee.
Jefferson College of Health Professions has rolling admission, and it is recommended that the application be received at least three (3) months prior to the term in which the student desires to transfer. The final decision on any of the requirements of the application process is within the discretion of the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management of Jefferson College of Health Professions.
Students should apply to Jefferson as early as possible in the Fall of their sophomore year.
Students who have not been accepted to Jefferson by the end of the Fall semester of their sophomore year are advised to take courses leading to an academic major at Arcadia University in the discipline of their choice.
Students placed into remedial courses (e.g. MA 095, MA 100, CH 100, EN 100) may not be able to complete this program in two years.