About the Major
The B.A. in Art Therapy prepares students for graduate study in art therapy by familiarizing them with the general principles and concepts applicable to the field. This course of study also assists students in making an informed choice regarding art therapy as a career. In addition to studio art and Art History requirements, students are required to take the Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology and Art Therapy. Students should meet with the Chair of the Department and their adviser about this degree. Our program allows students to:
- Develop studio art skills.
- Include pre-professional studies in the behavioral and social sciences.
- Meet the requirements of the American Art Therapy Association for graduate school entrance prerequisites.
Adviser: Carole Loeffler
(50 credits in Studio Art and Art History, 38 credits in Psychology and Art Therapy, plus Undergraduate Curriculum requirements and electives to total 128 credits)
The Art Therapy major can be elected as a B.A. or B.F.A. Art Therapy majors who choose to obtain the B.F.A. will earn a minimum of 20 credits above the usual 128 credits needed for graduation in order to fulfill requirements for the B.F.A. in Art Therapy major. NOTE: There is no minor in art therapy.
Three Studio Art courses (9 credits)
Three courses from the following:
- FA 102 Studio Art Foundations I (3 credits)
- FA 103 Studio Art Foundations II (3 credits)
- FA 104 Drawing I (3 credits)
- FA 105 Drawing II (3 credits)
Studio Art Courses (24 credits)
All four of these courses must be taken:
- FA 200 Painting I (3 credits)
- FA 203 Printmaking I (3 credits)
- FA 204 Ceramics I (3 credits)
- FA 205 Metals and Jewelry I (3 credits)
Three advanced courses in a chosen studio concentration, to total 12 credits.
Two Art History courses (8 credits)
One 100-level course in Art History, including:
- AH 111 Western Art: Renaissance to Modern or
- AH 112 Western Art: Prehistory to Medieval
One 200-level course in Art History.
Four Art Therapy courses (at least 14 credits)
- AT 200 Introduction to Art Therapy
- AT 210 Intermediate Art Therapy
- AT 310 Art Therapy: Applications and Techniques
- AT 365 Internship in Art Therapy (2 or 4 credits)
Four Psychology courses (16 credits)
- PY 111 Introduction to Psychology
- PY 205 Adult Psychopathology
Two courses from the following:
Two Sociology and Anthropology courses (8 credits)
Senior Capstone Experience (9 credits)
- AT 383 Senior Studio (2 credits)
- FA 484 Senior Seminar (3 credits)
- AT 490 Senior Thesis
- AT 490L Senior Thesis Lecture (0 credits)